PDA

View Full Version : Battery totally flat all of a sudden

aaron7
06-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Been riding the bike without issue for 200 miles now over the course of about a month. Haven't charged the battery at all but been riding without lights.

This morning the bike wouldn't start at all. I tried the horn and it was dead too... battery is completely discharged.

The key WAS in the off position.

What would cause the battery to just die all of a sudden? It's brand new!

Spokes
06-03-2010, 05:49 AM
The sad part is that an inexpensive battery will go bad at anytime. Check the water volume in the battery 1st. I have found that these batteries go dry quickly. Put a charge on the battery and leave it disconnected. Check in a few days for any stored energy (try to start the bike)

The problen can be 1.) short in the battery (bad battery) 2.) short in the wiring including switches 3.) actually left the lights on or ignition switch on

aaron7
06-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Well my lights cut out a couple weeks ago so I know they weren't on!

The battery is the yellow topped clear one from ebay that's around $40.

I'll check the levels and put my 6v trickle charger on it overnight to see if I get anything out of it.

The bike won't run at ALL without the battery, huh? Doesn't even sputter.

Spokes
06-03-2010, 06:58 AM
If your lights "cut out" a couple weeks ago then that would be your first clue.
Check as to why they are out and I'll bet you find your problem. A loose wire shorting out will drain your battery..without doubt.

aaron7
06-03-2010, 07:57 AM
But it was fine for weeks. If I had a short I'd imagine it would have been dead overnight.

I'll go through the wiring again and see if I can find something.

Smithers
06-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I left my 6V battery sit in my CA160 for like a year without using it once. It was brand new but still I was afraid I would be buying a new one. The fluid level hadn't changed so it was good. I put it on a 6v Battery Tender overnight and I could hear bubbling inside it when I came to check on it. It wasn't in "float mode" according to the red light so I unhooked it and let it sit for a day. Then I put it back on the Tender and it charged up ok overnight. These batteries hardly have any reserve at all since they are so tiny. Using the electric start for a few seconds will drain most any battery that small unless it's brand spankin new.

Still I know you said your battery drained to zero just sitting there. I can only recommend checking all the connections and all the wires near the battery box and then moving on to check every wire that runs up through the steering head and handlebars since they are prone to being worn down from the movement. I have never witnessed one component malfunction to the point at which is drains the battery because of old age or anything.

Smithers
06-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Ok I remember ONE time I was driving down the road in town and the my CA160 stopped dead on me at an intersection. All I had was a screwdriver and some bailing wire and a small crescent wrench in a bag with my registration. The fuse had blown and I was able to take apart the headlight box and I found a bullet connector was not fully covered by the little rubber boot that was supposed to be surrounding it for insulation. I could see that it being exposed would let it come into contact with a ground surface so I was really happy to spot that on the side of the road. I just took out the burnt fuse then pulled the wires through each of the plastic fuse holder ends and tied them together and rode off into the sunset.

Brewster
06-15-2010, 06:10 AM
WTH ?? What does that have to do with an old Honda? Who is that guy?

Spokes
06-15-2010, 08:20 AM
This is an example of classic spammers. Never open any highlighted words.
Report these things to smithers. I have and urge everyone to police this forum for these sub human spammers

Smithers
06-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Yeap I read every post that comes through this forum so it's just a matter of time before I find the spam and delete them. Guys that make money off spam pay little kids in 3rd world countries pennies to go through and register in forums and post spam all over the place. You can only do so much to stop em sometimes.